Saturday, March 15, 2008

To my mom, an innovative, loving wife and mother

I just wanted to take this opportunity to also pay tribute to my mother, Andrea. As you all know, it was my Dad's 50th birthday yesterday. It was a grand affair, all thanks to the cunning designs of my mom. Weeks ago now, my mom sent out letters to friends and family of dad requesting that they write a quick letter sharing their feelings towards my dad for his birthday. Many people complied and immediately the E-mail Inbox she had made specifically for this occasion "nelsbirthday@yahoo" began to fill to the brim. For those more inclined to the traditional method of mail sending, she had them send letters to my sister out in Virginia. In the meantime, my mom planned a scrumptious meal of chicken cordon bleu, asparagus with lemon butter and pepper, tasty rolls with Parmesan and spices on top, rice with slivered almonds and butter. Thanks to the help of a loving Neighbor, Michelle, we had beautiful plates and napkins to go with my mom's color scheme, a lovely gravy for the chicken and rice and some lovely added ingredients for a very delicious meal. I made a salad of Spinach, strawberries, mushrooms, bacon pieces, and slices of hard boiled egg with a vinaigrette dressing.
I have to admire my mom for how sneaky she was this week. Dad works from home a few days a week and so it was extra hard to check up on e-mails, print the letters and not get caught! Way to go mom. We have been speaking in whispers a lot this week!
Yesterday turned out brilliant: Mica's package arrived with the letters and a 2 beautiful framed pictures of her girls for dad's desk at work. Mom and I went out and got some last min things for the evening; which included a scrapbook album to put the letters in--complete with photos gathered from various places. I had to get creative with the pictures I found because I don't have a scanner so I took photos of them and photoshopped a few things to spruce them up. You can see my handy work here on my blog :)
Dad, Thomas and the girls went out to a movie, "Horton Hears a Who" (--Uncle Dave [who was an animator on that film] they say they loved it! Can't wait to see it! ) While mom and I finished setting the table and putting together the book. He had a wonderful surprise, Sascha came to visit from Idaho for this special occasion. The Table was beautiful, the food delicious, the company delightful. Mom made sure we all were well fed and finished it off with lovely pies from Marie Calendars' Yum! (p.s--March 14th is also 'Pi' Day--3.14.) The best part was we actually put the 50 candles in a large piece of foam so that by the time we lit all the candles the pie wouldn't be covered, therefore ruined.
Mom you truly made it the best birthday for dad and I know that he had a wonderful time and loved everything. I think you are an amazing mom and wife and hope that one day I may be the same!

2 comments:

Brooke said...

It's so fun reading all your family's blogs about your dad. It sound like a great birthday! And, that food and table setting look incredible!

Rachel said...

Yep, I cheated and found your blog through facebook! I thought you seemed like the type to have one. Oh, and I love the photography one too! You're exceptionally good. I'm glad to know that! How was dinner?