Wednesday, August 20, 2008

American Idoling part 1


Several weeks ago now I was at the library letting my finger run over the many DVDs on the shelf and I came across "American Idol, the best of seasons 1-4" I thought "Hey this could be funny" so I checked it out. I have never been a huge American Idol fan but back in my senior year of high school my sister Micaela and I had a few good laughs watching the first season's auditions and then a few of the final performances in the end where yes, I admit, we voted for Kelly Clarkson and she eventually won (yes Kelly, you won because of my sister and I, no need to thank us). So back to the DVD that I checked out... I started watching it and it contains some of the classic moments of American Idol that I remember, including but not limited to the horrible rendition of "Like a Virgin" (stupid song anyway) and the man who can't even remember the words to the National Anthem. I remember sitting there saying that I would NEVER try out for American Idol. What a horrible way to find out that your entire life you were lied to and told "You're the best singer" only to have your hopes and dreams crushed on Live TV! Yeah American Idol is not for me. I only enjoy watching people making fools of themselves even though sometimes even that is too painful. So around this time of watching the DVD I had no idea that a week later American Idol would be having auditions in Utah let alone I would be signing up like thousands of American Idol hopefuls to sing in front of a judge, deciding my fate. It started out when my friend Jon showed up on a Sunday wearing a funny looking, red wristband. We started making fun of him because he explained that he was trying out for AI (for the rest of this blog I will be abbreviating American Idol, tired of writing it out). After a few minutes of mocking he then asked if we (me and a few other friends) would do it with him, saying that it would be "Fun" and "something to laugh about later." So we did! We drove late Sunday night (at about 11:30) Over to the Energy Solutions building and went right in to the building where there were tables set up and we signed up for AI! So red wristbands in tow we left Energy solutions and headed home with a set of rules and some instructions for what was to come on Tuesday morning. Basically it goes like this. #1 You are not allowed to remove your wristband and not allowed to get it wet. If you need to shower you need to cover it up in saran wrap. So the next day the ward activity was out of the question being that it was water balloon volleyball.
#2 you sign a waiver basically saying that you have no say what AI says about you and I quote,
"I further understand that my appearance, depiction and/or portrayal in the program may be disparaging, defamatory, embarrassing or of an otherwise unfavorable nature which may expose me to public ridicule, humiliation or condemnation." On that happy note I will end this part 1 of my story and leave you begging for more ;)

5 comments:

Hannah S said...

OH, come on Liz! I want to know what happened!

Why couldn't you get the red band wet? Sounds weird to me. Did it have a barcode or something on it?

Lizzie. said...

well,
I am the next American Idol of course!
Ok no, not really... I will finish the story.
Oh P.s, I honestly have no idea why they wouldn't let me get the wristband wet. There was no barcode on it. Weird, I concur.

Jennie said...

Good to see a post again. Fun memories.

Sage said...

I can't wait to hear the rest, Liz! I think you would be great, you have such a great voice. Only trouble is if you made it then I'd actually have to watch the show. So if you are going to be on, let me know so I'll watch it! (that was rambling, sorry)

Brooke said...

I'm BEGGING you! Please tell the rest of the story! :)